Dr. Hidde Smit was Secretary-General of the International Rubber Study Group (IRSG) during 2005-2009. The IRSG is an intergovernmental organisation analysing supply and demand of natural and synthetic rubber. Smit concentrated on setting up and improving models for forecasting demand, supply and prices of natural and synthetic rubber. He also started intensive cooperation with the Association of Natural Rubber Producing Countries and the International Institute of Synthetic Rubber Producers.During his tenure industry membership of IRSG doubled.
From 1995 to 2004 Hidde Smit was Managing Director of the Economic and Social Institute, Free University, Amsterdam, conducting substantive research on commodity markets, especially on rubber, for a large number of companies and for national and international organisations.
What services to expect?
This vast international exposure and 40 years experience in modelling and forecasting the rubber economy are the basis for Smit to provide services such as
- In-depth analysis and forecasts for rubber supply, demand and prices at a country, regional, world level
- Tailor-made reports for clients, stakeholders in the rubber sector, including manufacturers, producers and traders
- Market information for companies involved in investment-banking and asset-management
- In-company seminars on the analysis and outlook for the rubber economy
- Quarterly reports (published in March, June, September, December) and annual reports (published in December), focussing on the short-term and the long-term outlook for the rubber market